July 30, 2013

#KingdomWoman... A Woman of Excellence (Part 2)

Today was interesting. I had an unexpected opportunity to share part of my testimony with a Christian sister in business contemplating some tough decisions. One of the key statements I shared with her came from this past weekend's Desperate for Jesus conference - "God will ask us to do hard things so expect Him to ask and be ready to say 'be it done unto me'. Decide in advance to say 'yes'". ~Chrystal Evans Hurst

I remembered after speaking with her that when we took our spiritual gifts inventory years ago, I showed a strong giftedness in encouragement and hospitality. It's funny the things that jog your memory. 

As I sit here reading through my Kingdom Woman book tonight, I remember when my husband and I were dating and he was in seminary. At one point, we discussed the characters in the bible who we most resembled. He chose Ruth for me to study.  I researched the meaning of the name, read through the book of Ruth, and was amazed at how her characteristics seemed parallel to mine.

The name Ruth means "Friendship" or "Refreshment." Ruth was born in Moab, but relocated with her mother-in-law Naomi to Bethlehem in Judah after the death of her husband. She was the wife and widow of Mahlon; remarried Boaz by an extension of levirate marriage; gave birth to a son, Obed, who figuratively was called the son of Naomi; and was an ancestor of David and Jesus Christ. She was originally a homemaker, later a maidservant of Boaz; and finally a homemaker again. She was best known for insisting that her mother-in-law Naomi allow her to come to Bethlehem, in order that Naomi's people, the Israelites, could become Ruth's people, and Naomi's God could become Ruth's God. Even though I've not been through the same trials of life, Ruth is seen as the epitomy of loyalty and encouragement... just like me.

Even without trying or planning ahead, I always seem to be put in places where being transparent about where I've been, what I've been through, and the power and presence of the Lord through every second, every minute, every hour, and every day, has encouraged someone else to hold their head up high and keep fighting. It's amazing how our God works... So thankful for the misery that has prepared me for the ministry all to His glory!






No comments: