December 19, 2014

12 Days of Fasting & Prayer for Marriages - Day 7














Prayer for Faithfulness & Affair Proofing Your Marriage
Dear Heavenly Father, unfortunately, the issue of infidelity is an ongoing issue in many marriages today. It's no wonder with technology giving easy access to sexual images and connecting people who wouldn't otherwise make acquaintances. The ability to create profiles and attract the wrong element into their lives is ever growing. Lord, I pray that you will protect our bodies, minds, and spirits from all temptations to be unfaithful in our marriages. Help us remember we have a covenant with You to remain faithful to our spouse, not just a commitment or a contract that can be withdrawn or voided because we're unhappy or think the grass is greener on the other side. Help us be satisfied with who you have given us and do what it takes to stay connected to each other, not keeping intimacy from one another, giving place to the devil to rob us of what you meant to be holy and undefiled. We thank you for your grace and mercy for those who have already fallen into temptation but who are trying to rebuild their marriages. Be with them, Lord, and give them the strength, wisdom, and understanding so they can make it through. Whether they were the unfaithful spouse or the one who was wronged, give them the courage to fight for their marriage day by day. In your Son, Jesus' precious name, I pray and ask it all. Amen.

Verse of the Day
Flee immorality. Every other sin that a man commits is outside the body, but the immoral man sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body. 1 Corinthians 6:18-20

Food for Thought
I don't know if you've ever felt betrayed by someone you believed would never hurt you. I have. In my first marriage, I was betrayed and, out of immaturity, I became a betrayer. I didn't have a healthy view of marriage and didn't care. I just knew I wanted out...by any means necessary. But in my current marriage, because I know the true meaning of marriage and I'm under the great teaching of a man who not only preaches the word, but lives it, I have a different attitude and commitment to being a woman of honor and faithfulness to my husband. In spite of the ups and downs, I know that my marriage is not a contract between me and my husband, but a covenant before my Heavenly Father. My marriage commitment is not something I want to play with or take lightly because what happens in my marriage is a direct reflection on my Father above.

I don't get it right all the time. Like I told my small group members the other day, I'm still a "hot chili pepper" and my mouth gets me into a lot of trouble with my husband. But one thing I dare say is that when it comes to being intimate and sharing my body, mind, and spirit, there is only one man who gets that privilege until death do us part.  I trust that my husband feels the same way. I pray for him everyday because I know the temptation to be unfaithful is real. There are opportunities everywhere. But I trust that God, who remains faithful, will continue to help my husband in this area, too.

Here are some resources to look into if you've experienced infidelity in your marriage and to affair proof it for the future:

No comments: