October 3, 2013

Trusting Him In a New Season

Being self-employed offers me the opportunity to create my own schedule. There were times when my schedule was so jam packed, I barely had time to breathe. The responsibilities of wife, mother, and business woman seemed to be on a three-lane super highway with no room to pass for personal time or aspirations. The term busy was a far cry from what I was experiencing. I was busy with a capital "B" and then some. Lately, however, I've been blessed with the opportunity to stop and smell the roses. I prayed for it and boy did I get it!

When the winds of change hit our home, it was nearly impossible to miss. The entire atmosphere began to shift around within months of each other. Children who needed me for almost everything at one point have matured and become independent - the older ones have gone off to see the world through their choice of college or military, calling home every now and again to check on me and let me know what's happening in their respective worlds, while the younger ones returned back to school, hanging out with friends and participating in various activities that keep them busy from sun up to sun down. The business that was almost running itself at one point seemed to be gasping for air at times but still brings in just enough from steady customers and referrals to sustain us with little to no help from me - the Business/Marketing Manager. Finally, a husband, my partner, who was available to me 24-7 was blessed with an opportunity that would take him away from home 7+ hours a day for at least 6-8 weeks... No more serving him coffee or tea in the morning or asking him what he wanted for lunch. No more moments of sneaking in his office for an afternoon smooch. Nope. He was out the door and, although I have the opportunity to chat with him at fleeting moments throughout the day, I am overjoyed to see him as if he'd been gone for months and welcome him home with open arms at the end of a busy work day.  I started to feel a gaping hole in my world.  So what was I to do now?

I thought I was prepared for this moment. I asked for it.  The peace. The quiet.  The time.  But I wasn't.  At first, I found myself somewhat lost in space. Wandering around the house literally looking for something to get into. For me, there is nothing good about having too much time on my hands. I don't know how people do it! Sitting around watching T.V. or online all day. I just can't do it! That would absolutely drive me crazy. So I began praying about what the Lord would have me doing in this new season of my life. I mean, I've been raising kids since I was 16 years old. I know there's something He wants me to do now that I have more free time to give so I created a makeshift schedule to occupy my time but left room for the Lord to maneuver me to where He would want me to go. We're studying Detours to Destiny (The Life of Joseph) at church so I want to be sure I don't miss the signs!

I started attending a weekly bible study and, although I didn't expect it, the opportunity presented itself to volunteer in various areas to minister to women of our church. Well, I've always loved volunteering so, in MY mind, I thought it would be best to volunteer for comfort and care. I'm already in that ministry as a whole, so it just seemed to make sense to me. But as I headed to the table to sign up, the facilitator for my table stopped and asked if I would mind being the table captain. Is this a detour? LOL.  Ok. Sure, why not? I asked the Lord to direct my path and I told Him I would be willing and available for whatever opportunities come my way so I signed up.  Still thinking I could do both table captain and comfort and care, I headed over to sign-up for MY intended destination. But as I waited in line, I was beckoned over to consider another opportunity.  Another detour within a detour? OMG!!  Who knows?  It certainly wasn't my first choice. However, there was a need. Only one person had signed up and several had signed up for comfort and care. I asked for something to do; not what I want to do, but what God wants me to do.  Not leaning to my own understanding, but trusting He would have me help where there's a need so I signed up there as well. No questions asked. Just going with His flow of things...

I feel blessed to have been given the time to volunteer as well as read, study, write, and fellowship with other women of God at this stage in my life. I don't take it for granted and I realize that God does not go back on His word. If you're aligned with Him, when you ask, seek, and knock, doors will be opened. I'm trusting Him in this new season of my life and enjoying where He has me at the moment.  The time also allows me the opportunity to work on the ministry He gave me so long ago. I'm so thankful and can't wait to see what's next on HIS agenda for me.  But if He detours me again, I won't be disappointed or angry. I'll continue to just go with His flow knowing He has an intended destiny for me in this new season of life.

No comments: