October 5, 2013

Breast Cancer Awareness: Celebrating Life Foundation's Sister to Sister event




I was blessed with the opportunity to participate as a vendor at the Sister to Sister 12th Annual Fitness Festival & 5k Race/Walk today in exchange for helping to promote the event. I supported last year through our company, The Lyons Group, but did not have an opportunity to attend. What a difference a year makes! I started selling Avon in June and decided it would be a great place to showcase my new biz as well as support the presenting organization's Founder, Sylvia Dunnavant. I was completely blown away. If the Lord allows, maybe I'll even walk/run next year.


Every year, The Celebrating Life Foundation provides culturally relevant information to the community and raises money to continue the work of the foundation. According to their website, walkers, volunteers, corporations and community supporters from throughout the Dallas/Cedar Hill community unite each year to walk and address the risks of breast cancer among African American women and women of color.

They also provide mammograms for uninsured women who qualify at this event.
Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again. Luke 6:38 (KJV)
I remember standing by my friend as she watched her mother slowly pass from this life into the next after her battle with breast cancer. I remember singing 'Always Remember Jesus' as her mother lay there with a look of peace on her face. As sad as it was, I thanked God that she would feel no more pain in this life. It was my first close-up experience with the disease. That was back in the late 90s when there wasn't as much information available in our community. Thanks to organizations like our church, Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship and The Celebrating Life Foundation bringing awareness and opportunities to learn about the causes and treatment and links to various resources, I've since encountered several women who were diagnosed in the early stages and have survived! I also had my first mammogram a few years ago and after examination was sent to lab for follow-up because of some concern. Thankfully, I was cleared but it was quite a scary moment so I'm very grateful for early detection and information.

This organization has been blessed and is a blessing to others and I'm looking forward to participating again next year!

For more information on how to become a sponsor / vendor at future events, CLICK HERE or call the Celebrating Life Foundation at 972-501-9981 extension 110.





No comments: