October 7, 2013

Finishing Well

In John 17:4, Jesus says, "I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do." This is saying that following God means finishing what He's called us to do. ~Joyce Meyer
It's always amazing to me how The Lord works in our lives. You know how you never notice a particular type of car until you get it yourself? It's kind of like that for me. When I really start going deep in the word and my relationship with The Lord, it seems like everything I need is brought to my attention more than before. It's like POW! BOOM! Here I am, come and get me!

For instance, when I asked The Lord to show me my purpose, all of a sudden my plans seemed to start shifting and my life started moving in directions that were pointing me to places I'd been before but with a future focus, if that makes any sense.  He always gives me a choice in which path to take, but when I'm in this place of alignment, my choice is to be on the same page with Him - not my will but His. 

The thing is, God isn't surprised about where He's taking me. He's not confused about the plans He has for me. He doesn't have to ask what I should be doing. I believe He just waits for me to get out of the way so He can do what He does best - WITHOUT my help - and bring me to a place of purpose and destiny. When I'm completely surrendered to His will and His purpose, He can do His best work in me and through me. That's where I want to be for the rest of the days He's given me.

He's so amazing! 

As I prepare to share my single parent journey, I began reminiscing on the days when I was completely dependent upon Him for everything for me and the kids. All I can say is, had I not gone through what I went through, I wouldn't be prepared for this moment. And I keep going back to what Pastor Evans said yesterday...
Destiny is your customized life calling for which God has equipped or ordained you in order to bring Him the greatest glory and maximize the expansion of His kingdom.
Not only do I want to reach my destiny, I also want to finish what He's called me to do and I want to finish it well.  He's been preparing me. 

Wow... One of my favorite songs is playing as I write... Tears!




That song brings me to tears every time I hear it. Listen closely to the lyrics! If you've ever been through something and you were delivered... Look back and you'll cry, too!  Especially if you know that it was only the Lord that brought you through it. You can't help but praise Him and give Him thanks. I know I can't help myself. I couldn't see what He was preparing me for when I was in it but when I look back - oooooooh wee!!  

Anywho, I digress. LOL. My mom-in-law and I were talking about Sunday's sermon and what's been going on with me because she also wants to share with younger women about her journey. With over 45 years of marriage under her belt, she has a story to tell, too! She ministers to me regularly as a new wife.  We talked about Naomi's journey and her submission to her husband even when she wasn't in agreement with the direction he was going.  God has truly blessed me with a wonderful mother-in-law and I'm sure my husband would say the same about my mom. They are God-fearing women who have been through some 'THANGS'. 

I think we all want to finish well and make an impact on others in our generation.  We all want to hear the words - well done my good and faithful servant.

No comments: