August 21, 2013

#KingdomWoman... Her Submission


Submission. The dreaded "S" Word. I never thought that I would have an issue with being submissive to my husband. I prepared for marriage. I read what God's word said on the subject, went to premarital counseling, and listen to our pastor intently whenever he would speak on the matter of marriage and our divine roles. On the outside looking in, I think one would say I'm the always encouraging, always giving, always loving, always supportive "Perfect Patty" to everyone I meet.  However, although I've tried to do everything I thought I should do and I do have these characteristics most times, there have been days when submission to my husband has been an issue. At times, I will admit that I've not been very nice, or as supportive and encouraging as I should've been, especially when we were first married. I would sometimes even resort to throwing a hissy for not getting things to go MY way!

In the midst of wanting to be "right", I would forget that my submission to my husband correlates to my submission to God. In moments of being self centered instead of Christ centered, I would forget to respect my husband. Thank God for His grace and forgiveness in those times.
Submission means doing so “as to the Lord” (Ephesians 5:22).
When I remember that my ultimate submission is to God, it helps me get back on track with how I speak and how I treat my husband. There's nothing like knowing that God is pleased when I submit to my husband's leadership in our home and there's nothing like seeing my husband smile when we can agree to disagree without resorting to being disrespectful to one another. The saying goes that when mama's happy, everyone's happy. I say that actually works both ways!  And when we submit to one another as unto The Lord, it is truly as stated in Kingdom Woman:


Now that I think about it, maybe I should've entitled this blog entry How to have a happy home! LOL.

Basically, there's nothing wrong with submission. Don't dread the 'S' word. Trust me, when you remember WHO you're ultimately submitting to, it helps tremendously! You have a different outlook and perspective. If we're living to be pleasing in His sight, we won't be afraid to submit to our husbands as unto Him. Submission in this way, gives us freedom, not subjection or imprisonment!

No comments: