October 14, 2012

Living the List

I read a devotion by Dennis Rainey this morning that talked about Living by the List based on Matthew 6:33 - Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you... The list is as follows:

  • Seek God, not sin.
  • Fear God, not man.
  • Love God, not the world.
  • Believe God, not the deceiver.
  • Obey God, not your appetites.
  • Serve God, not self.
  • Worship God, not comfort.

It seems like such a simple thing to do, yet as humans in a sinful world with sinful desires and satan lurking, we find this list too challenging on a daily basis.  But why?  Why is it so challenging when the benefits of being obedient far outweigh the benefits of living a sinful, fleshly life?

Well, there is a saying that says when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  That's what I've decided to do with my life at this time.  No matter what life throws my way, it's up to me how I respond and react.

I know I'm getting too old to play games.  I'm getting too old to put up with drama and nonsense.  I deserve to be happy and God made me especially for Him to be used for His purpose whether it's as a wife, mom, daughter, granddaughter, niece, friend, businesswoman, or otherwise.  I have to live my life by His design. I have to live my life by the list.

Change begins with me.  I'm changing for the better and I expect that the best is yet to come.



No comments: