June 3, 2010

31 Day Challenge - Day 5 - Pressing On!

To make the most of your life, make God’s goals your goals. (Our Daily Bread) "I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus". Philippians 3:14.

I was thinking about habits this morning. I've heard it said that it takes 21 days to form a habit. When you say you want to make a change in your life how do you go about doing it? How do you undo a habit that may have taken a lifetime to form? Will it take only 21 days to undo a bad habit and create a good habit? I'm just wondering!

When I was contemplating marriage, I expected my husband would be a strong spiritual leader. That's one of the reasons I married him! He'd been attending seminary and he talked the talk. His walk wasn't straight and narrow or perfect, but whose is? I didn't expect him to be perfect, but I at least wanted to know that I had the spiritual covering God intended for me through marriage. Well, I was in for a rude awakening! For the first few months, we attended church together but it was a rare moment for us to pray together. It took a crisis moment 3 months ago to get us to that point. But once we started, there was no stopping us. We pray with each other every morning, attend church regularly, and meet with our mentor couple as often as is possible. We formed a habit together that is hard to break!

Now that I'm on the 31 Day Proverbs 31 Life Challenge, I'm hoping to have the same result - forming good habits that are hard to break. I personally think I did at least two good things today that would've probably been catastrophes had I not been working on ME.

1) My 9 yr old had an awards ceremony today that hubby attended. Well, he couldn't make up his mind whether he wanted to come home after the ceremony or enjoy his last day of school with his friends. I forgot to tell hubby he had a choice. Well, after hubby had already left the school, my son calls to say that he wants to come home. He didn't tell hubby that before he left the school so I called to ask if he wouldn't mind going back. Of course he did! Although it's not a long distance to the school, he walked, and he didn't feel like walking back. Understandable. In the past, I would've flown off the handle regardless... I almost did. But I took a step back and thought about it. I was mad at myself for not making him aware of the choice beforehand and I was disappointed that my son couldn't make up his mind. So, he ended up staying at the school. No harm, no foul.

2) Sometimes, hubby has a tendency to procrastinate when it comes to my needs but he sure knows how to make a way when it's something for himself - something he WANTS to do. So... the tires on my car are near bald and I've been asking him for about 3 weeks to take care of them. For this reason or another, it's not gotten done. Well, in the past, I'd finally get so fed up of asking him that I'd go and get stuff done on my own or ask my son or my cousin to do it. But seeing that the last time, HE flew off the handle for not letting him "be the man", this time, I made sure to ask his permission if it would be okay to have my son get the tires for me. He was fine with it. No argument. Maybe that was his plan all along... Who knows. I just chose to try a different route this time.

I think I was respectful to hubby today. I'm really working on that because it's important to him to be respected... and it is honoring to God.

Proverbs 31:23 -Her husband is known in the gates, When he sitteth among the elders of the land.

A well-known proverb says, "Behind every good man is a good woman" and a godly wife is a great contributor to the success and prosperity of her husband. Where would a man be without a godly, industrious, loving, and faithful wife? God created me to be my husband's helpmate because He said that it not good for man to be alone. I'm striving to be that virtuous woman for my husband... The helpmate that he needs.

No comments: